Managing brands on Magento by categories and attributes
Another great day with a great and easy tutorial on how to manage brands on Magento store. Every E-commerce store showcase their product brands and you may need those brands on your main menu and also in your product listing page you will surely needs to filter your products based on those brands.
So today we will see how we could achieve both of the above requirement in a simple way using default magento features.
So let’s start!! Follow below steps:
1. Create a category Brands and create the subcategories with those brand names you have, for eg: Nike, Adidas, and so on.. and set the include in main menu.
2. Create the attribute named “Brand” with type drop down. Add the values with the same name of subcategories you have just created.For eg: Nike, Adidas, and so on..
3. While creating the attribute, set the Use In Layered Navigation to “Filterable (with results)”. Fill other required value for that attribute and save it.
4. Assign above attribute to the attribute set that you want to use to create your product.
5. Now when you create your product You just need to choose the particular brand from category and the drop down option and save your product.
Yay!! you just created a brand category and assigned the products to it. Also using that attribute you have created a filterable attribute on the layered navigation.
You can now extend this feature to pull the brand images using the category image and pull the list of brands.
In my next blog I will show how you can use these brand categories to get the brand images in a slider in home page.